Associates around the world are celebrating the 123rd anniversary of the Army & Air Force Exchange Service. As the Department of Defense’s largest retailer, the Exchange mission of “we go where you go” is rooted in taking care Soldiers, Airmen, military families, retirees and honorably discharged Veterans.
From world wars to the tip of the spear, the Exchange has provided one-of-a-kind support for our Nation’s heroes.
“Two of the qualities that Exchange associates show are humility and self-sacrifice,” said Director/CEO Tom Shull during an anniversary celebration at the Dallas headquarters. “The work you do each day is inspiring. It is a privilege to serve alongside you.
“Because of you, the Exchange is stronger than it’s ever been.”
A list of stellar accomplishments
Just this past year, the Exchange:
- Boosted revenue by more than $300 million, despite a rocky retail climate.
- Provided $219 million in dividends to Quality-of -Life programs, such as child care centers, youth programs and fitness centers.
- Welcomed home 18.5 million eligible Veterans with a lifelong online shopping benefit—the first expansion of Exchange benefits in nearly 30 years.
- Expanded acceptance of the MILITARY STAR card to all commissaries worldwide.
- Supported troops and first responders after three devastating hurricanes.
- Served troops at the tip of the spear the Middle East, Eastern Europe and the Pacific.
- Intensified BE FIT initiatives to bring better-for-you options to Soldiers, Airmen and their families.
We’ve come a long way
The Exchange has come a long way since July 25, 1895, when the then-War Department ordered all post commanders to open post exchanges. These rudimentary PXs are the ancestors of today’s worldwide Army & Air Force Exchange Service – the Nation’s 61st largest retailer.
Send us your best 123rd birthday pictures!
To celebrate this momentous day, Exchanges throughout the world are holding celebrations to commemorate the 123rd anniversary.
Send your best pictures to the Exchange Post for posting on Flickr! Show associates throughout the world how your store celebrated the special anniversary. Be sure to check back because we’ll be updating the Flickr album as we get more pictures.
View more than 700 photos in Exchange History Flickr Album. Pictures date from the Civil War to today.
Check out the Exchange history page, complete with timeline on ShopMyExchange.com.