It Pays To Shop the Exchange: $223 Million Generated for Quality-of-Life Programs in 2018
Every time service members, retirees, Veterans and military families shop the Army & Air Force Exchange Service, they help make their community stronger. In 2018, Exchange shoppers generated $223 million for vital on-installation community programs.
100% of Exchange earnings are invested in the military community, with 60% going to dividends supporting Quality-of-Life programs and the remaining 40% used to improve the experience in stores and at ShopMyExchange.com.
Over the last 10 years, Exchange shoppers have contributed $2.5 billion to support Army Child Development Centers and fitness centers, Air Force Outdoor Recreation and other programs that strengthen the Services’ recruiting, retention and readiness efforts.
“Support of critical Quality-of-Life programs is a tangible return on the benefit service members and their families have earned,” said Exchange Director/CEO Tom Shull. “We go where they go to deliver convenience and savings and invest in each community we are honored to serve.”
Veterans contribute, too
The 2018 $223 million dividend was generated in part by Veterans, who were welcomed home with a lifelong online military exchange shopping benefit introduced on Veterans Day 2017.
By shopping the Exchange online, Veterans make life better for those who wear the uniform today while enjoying exclusive military savings and tax-free shopping. Veterans can visit ShopMyExchange.com/vets to sign up for their lifelong online benefit.
All branches benefit
All branches of service benefit from shopping the Exchange. Because the Exchange also serves the Navy and Marine Corps at select stores and online, portions of the dividend are contributed to those branches’ Quality-of-Life programs. The 2018 dividend was distributed as follows:
- Army: $129 million
- Air Force: $77 million
- Marines: $12 million
- Navy: $5 million