The Exchange at 125: For 65 Years, We Have Provided Nutritious School Lunches
The Army & Air Force Exchange Service dished up its first school lunches back in 1955 when school cafeterias opened on military installations in the United Kingdom. In 1980, the Exchange was designated the sole school feeding authority for the Army and Air Force.
In 2019, the Exchange served 2.6 million meals in 76 Department of Defense Education Activity school cafeterias in nine countries in Europe and the Pacific.
As of late June, even amid the continuing COVID-19 pandemic, the Exchange still provided nearly 86,000 grab-and-go meals for schoolchildren in Europe and the Pacific.